Details systems are labeled into two big types, in accordance to global developments: A. On-line transactional processing systems (also termed operational systems)
B. Determination support systems (DSS)
Α. On-line transactional processing systems OLTPs are systems which serve transactions with suppliers, partners and customers, as nicely as inner business transactions. They support functions in the course of the worth chain of the Group:
- Offer Chain Management (SCM)
- Creation support (e.g. MRP, Sophisticated Scheduling & Scheduling)
- Shopper interface management (e.g. profits, buy management and billing) (CRM)
- Finance and Accounting (ERP)
- Revenue pressure automation
- World wide web channel functions (eCRM)
- Internal workflow support systems
Β. Determination support systems DSS give management at all levels of the Organisation, with information and facts which supports knowledge of the present Small business placement and getting knowledgeable decisions (point centered management). OLTP vs DSS systems Even nevertheless OLTP (on-line transactional processing) and DSS (decision support systems) functionalities may well overlap (e.g. an OLTP procedure may well give some operational reporting performance used for decision support), it is crystal clear that the intent of the two types differs, provided that they serve distinct functions and distinct Person groups in the Small business. As a result the growth philosophy of the two types differs radically. Especially, variances are identified on the pursuing requirements (1 for OLTP, two for DSS): Procedure purposeful necessities:
- Plainly specified provided that the procedure serves precise purposeful requirements – the predetermined transactions
- the willpower of a comprehensive need established is a challenge, provided that there are dynamically modifying informational necessities.
Seize of present and historical information and facts:
- Latest point out information and facts is captured (some historical knowledge may well exist only to serve opportunity upcoming transactions)
- Modern and historical information and facts is captured (present may well not be captured, provided that knowledge from the OLTP are retrieved at normal intervals)
Details styles used:
- Sophisticated, centered on business entities (in phrases of relational databases it is termed normalized knowledge composition (e.g. 3NF))
- Distinctive methods exist. The simplified denormalised dimensional composition gains momentum, given that it allows easier knowledge by business end users and optimized execution of advanced queries.
Details stage of element:
- In depth knowledge for each transaction are retained
- In depth knowledge are retained in a distinct composition and are enriched by ‘dimensional’ information and facts which allows analytical processing. What’s more, aggregated knowledge like KPIs (critical efficiency indicators), are calculated and stored in persistent storage.
Quantity of knowledge:
- The quantity of knowledge is appropriate to the dimension of the Small business and the penetration of IT in it.
- The knowledge quantity managed by a DSS, is numerous of that of the OLTP systems on which it is centered, provided that it maintains numerous historical snapshots
Copyright 2006 – Kostis Panayotakis